This degree programme provides you with the essential knowledge, skills and experience to progress your career within the Sport or Education sector. The modules of study provide you with the theoretical and practical knowledge to be a successful practitioner in a wide range of job roles, alongside the theoretical we offer practical modules and a work placement which provides you with the experience often needed to gain employment within the sector.
Throughout the programme you may use state of the art facilities at the University Campus and at the Keepmoat Stadium (home to Doncaster Rovers, Doncaster Rugby League Club and Doncaster Athletics club), utilising their world class facilities.
Our staff have a wide professional network that will be utilised throughout the degree programme providing you with opportunities to engage with leading practitioners (historically this has included access to elite level athletes, coaches, teachers, community groups, managers and government officials).
The degree programme takes a multi-disciplinary approach to learning providing an array of engaging, interesting, relatable and vital opportunities for our students.
Open Event 17 June 2023
Come along to our Higher Education (18+) information evening and discover what it’s like to study at University Campus Doncaster.Attend our information event to get a taste of life as a higher education student at University Campus Doncaster.
Modules of Study:
Level 4 (1st year full time)
• Sport and Leisure Industry
• Foundations of Physical Education and Sports Coaching
• Introduction to Research
• PE and the National Curriculum (Practical module)
• Practical PE and Sports Coaching (Practical module)
• Introduction to Sport and Exercise Science.
Level 5 (2nd year full time)
• Employability / Work Placement module (Practical module)
• Sports Development
• Advanced Sports Coaching (Practical module)
• Research Methods
• Psychology for PE and Sports Coaching
• Advanced PE (Practical module)
Level 6 (3rd year full time)
• Contemporary Issues
• Sport and Society
• Talent Development
• Physical Activity, Exercise and Healthy Lifestyles
• Major Independent Research Project (Dissertation)
All modules are subject to availability and this list may change at any time.
Occasional changes to modules and course content may take place. Students will be notified when applicable.
All students will be required to undertake an enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check prior to starting the programme (at a cost to the student) This will be necessary in order to complete work experience for the employability module and to obtain paid employment in a PE teaching, sports coaching or sports development role in the future. Further details will be provided on enrolment in Freshers’ week.
A mixture of Practical Delivery, Work Placement, Essay, Presentations, Group Tasks, Blog Writing and Web Page building
You’ll need to have one of the following:
- 80 UCAS tariff points
- Access to HE Diploma in a Sports related programme with at least 45 credits at Level 3
- Accreditation of Prior Learning (APL)
We are committed to creating educational opportunities for people from a variety of backgrounds and situations. If you have been out of formal education for some time, and/or you do not have the qualifications stated, we might still be able to consider your application and offer you a range of support. We are here to help. Please get in touch to find out more.
As part of this programme of study you will be required to have a valid enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check. You will be required to pay the cost of this. A DBS must be in place before you start your placement. You may be able to supply an existing DBS but this must be within 3 years of issue.
Typical Progression routes on successful completion of the Degree are;
• Employment within the Sport Sector
• Progression to undertake a formal teaching qualification such as a PGCE
• Progression to study a Masters Degree
Our recent graduates have progressed to / become
• Further study
• PE Teaching
• Primary school PE specialists
• Personal Trainer
• Professional Sports Coach
• Sports Coaching Business owner
• Council Physical Activity officer
• Youth Academy Coach
• Sport Development officer / coach
• Community Development coach / officer
If you wish to continue studying beyond this course, it will provide you with a strong academic basis to do so.
UK students can take out a tuition fee loan to cover the cost of their course and a maintenance loan to cover living costs.
We also have a range of other financial support available.
Full Time – £7770
Your Tuition fees cover the majority of costs associated with your programme (including registration, tuition and assessment.)
There may be some extra costs that you might need to make or choose to pay for example:
– Books (you’ll have access to books from your module reading lists in the HE library, but you may want to buy your own copies
– Printing and photocopying)
– Trips and enhancement opportunities
- A DBS check will be required, which you must pay for.
Apply or enquire about this course
To find out more and apply for this course, please contact us via the telephone number below.
- Course code: 8G66
- Institution code: N64
- Campus name: University Campus Doncaster
- Campus code: D
Apply on the UCAS website Make an enquiry Call 0800 358 7474
Information for EU Students
From January 2021, how you apply for a course will change. For more information, read the UK Government's guide for the UK points-based immigration system for EU students (pdf).
Visit our International pages for more information and contact details