This degree programme provides you with the essential knowledge, skills and experience to progress your career within the Sport or Education sector. The modules of study provide you with the theoretical and practical knowledge to be a successful practitioner in a wide range of job roles, alongside the theoretical we offer practical modules and a work placement which provides you with the experience often needed to gain employment within the sector.
Throughout the programme you may use state of the art facilities at the University Campus and at the Keepmoat Stadium (home to Doncaster Rovers, Doncaster Rugby League Club and Doncaster Athletics club), utilising their world class facilities.
Our staff have a wide professional network that will be utilised throughout the degree programme providing you with opportunities to engage with leading practitioners (historically this has included access to elite level athletes, coaches, teachers, community groups, managers and government officials).
The degree programme takes a multi-disciplinary approach to learning providing an array of engaging, interesting, relatable and vital opportunities for our students.
University of Hull
Modules of Study:
Level 4 (1st year full time)
• Sport and Leisure Industry
• Foundations of Physical Education and Sports Coaching
• Introduction to Research
• PE and the National Curriculum (Practical module)
• Practical PE and Sports Coaching (Practical module)
• Introduction to Sport and Exercise Science.
Level 5 (2nd year full time)
• Employability / Work Placement module (Practical module)
• Sports Development
• Advanced Sports Coaching (Practical module)
• Research Methods
• Psychology for PE and Sports Coaching
• Advanced PE (Practical module)
Level 6 (3rd year full time)
• Contemporary Issues
• Sport and Society
• Talent Development
• Physical Activity, Exercise and Healthy Lifestyles
• Major Independent Research Project (Dissertation)
All modules are subject to availability and this list may change at any time
All students will be required to undertake an enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check prior to starting the programme (at a cost to the student) This will be necessary in order to complete work experience for the employability module and to obtain paid employment in a PE teaching, sports coaching or sports development role in the future. Further details will be provided on enrolment in Freshers’ week.
A mixture of Practical Delivery, Work Placement, Essay, Presentations, Group Tasks, Blog Writing and Web Page building
80 UCAS Points
Typical Progression routes on successful completion of the Degree are;
• Employment within the Sport Sector
• Progression to undertake a formal teaching qualification such as a PGCE
• Progression to study a Masters Degree
Our recent graduates have progressed to / become
• Further study
• PE Teaching
• Primary school PE specialists
• Personal Trainer
• Professional Sports Coach
• Sports Coaching Business owner
• Council Physical Activity officer
• Youth Academy Coach
• Sport Development officer / coach
• Community Development coach / officer